Could You Fall In Brit Love?

Hot, contemporary romances with a distinctly British flavour. Gorgeous heroes, beautiful heroines and iconic locations.

Sunday, 23 September 2012

Blowing my own trumpet

Although I don't normally like to blow my own trumpet, Lovers In Law has up a 5* review on Goodreads that's literally left me reeling.   So good, I'm quoting it here in full:-


Bravo Ms. Exley! I like your style. I'm a lover and reader of novels more along the lines of epic, historical fiction and romance, but Lovers in Law took me by surprise. Sure, I snuck into my Mom's naughty books when I was young, and I've read enough as an adult to know what to expect; but what hooked me here was the quality of the writing which has, in my experience with sexy books, come second to the erotic elements. Let me assure you, Exley neglects neither. True, back in Mom's day, you had to wait a bit longer for the action, and there was often an agonizing degree of tension before the really hot stuff appeared. Not to worry, Lovers lights the flame early on and keeps it burning to the end.
I enjoyed the characters, found them well developed for a non-lengthy novel, and was especially charged by being made privy to the inner workings of the world of British law. As an American with no background or relations in the field, this made for a sweet escape, indeed. And no, it’s not a realm necessarily ruled by sex; these people do actually work as the reader will find. So sit back and enjoy the total package of this particularly hot fantasy duo.  Is it just me, or were there Phantom of the Opera references in the text? I tend to see them in everything. Particularly pleased with the mention of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy, and as one of those over-proud Texan types, was flattered by the British blurb concerning my home state. Oftentimes, it’s the little things that get me.  Quite honestly, I see no reason why Exley shouldn’t become another of the great romance writers and sellers of our time. Granted, when I last checked, current best sellers are still leaning a bit more toward the traditional (yes, like my mother’s) brand of sensuality, but who can deny the recent, and lucrative, attention erotic romance has earned? If this author were writing mainstream, I think she’d be kicking the collective “arses” of the Jodi Picoults of the world. Clearly, she’s got plenty of talent. This is writing for the self, refusing to accept nothing less than your own vision, which I believe to be the most admiral form of writing there is. I look forward to seeing much more. 

Don't know what else to say but "wow" and "thanks".   Avis xx

No comments:

Post a Comment